Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
Fred Kerley will compete clean against drug-fuelled athletes at this weekend's Enhanced Games and still hopes to race in the 2028 Olympics, the suspended former 100m world champion said Friday.
Arguably the biggest name at the divisive event in Las Vegas, where doping is permitted, Kerley said he had chosen not to take any of the banned substances including testosterone and steroids that his competitors have been using.
"I don't need it. God gave me fast feet for a reason. And I'm here to showcase my talent," US sprinter Kerley said.
Kerley last September became the first American man and first track athlete to commit to the Enhanced Games, and until the eve of the event had kept his decision not to "enhance" under wraps.
He told journalists he has been undergoing regular anti-doping tests in recent months, and is competing in the Enhanced Games for financial reasons.
It is the latest twist in Kerley's complex relationship with anti-doping authorities.
In March, the Athletics Integrity Unit banned the American track star for two years because he had failed to notify officials of his whereabouts.
Kerley, who won 100m gold at the 2022 World Championships in Eugene, had already been provisionally suspended since August last year after committing three whereabouts failures in a 12-month period.
Elite athletes have strict requirements about informing anti-doping officials about their locations, such as at training camps or when traveling, and must provide a time and location each day to comply with rules regarding unannounced doping tests.
"You just don't come and disrespect my space. Once you start disrespecting my space, it's irritating," said Kerley, of the ban.
While World Athletics president Sebastian Coe has warned that track and field athletes competing at the Enhanced Games face being banned for a "long time", Kerley insisted he was not worried.
"I will compete at the Olympics in 2028. They can't do nothing. We, us athletes, pay the bills. They don't pay our bills," he told journalists.
"I'm still getting tested from AIU, USADA. Simple. The only difference is my pocket is getting fatter... Somebody fires you from the job, don't you gotta go get a look for ways to make more money?"
Enhanced Games co-founder Christian Angermayer told AFP he supported Kerley's decision, saying it is "the crystallization of our ethos... free choice for grownups."
The company behind the Enhanced Games is selling strength and longevity supplements, using the event as a showpiece for their alleged potency.
Asked what would happen if Kerley beat the "enhanced" athletes, Angermayer said "it would be amazing."
"Mostly our business model is headlines to drive attention. It would be a headline. Any debate is good for us," said the German billionaire.
"Second, I could scientifically answer, it's obviously depending where was the baseline of the other [athletes].. It's all where you start."
Y.Schmitz--RTC